The VBA monitors and enforces compliance with building legislation. The conduct of registered building practitioners is a primary focus. If a building surveyor does not meet certain standards, the VBA becomes involved.
The VBA has the power to:
- bring proceedings for any offence against building legislation
- apply for and execute search warrants
- require the production of documents or the giving of information to determine compliance with the Act or Regulations
- act as a municipal building surveyor in relation to any matter referred to the VBA bya private building surveyor
- direct a municipal building surveyor or private building surveyor to carry out their functions.