Local government must appoint, employ or nominate a municipal building surveyor. The municipal building surveyor is often the first party to whom non-compliance with building legislation is reported by members of the community.
Local government has the power to:
- administer and enforce building permits issued by the MBS
- act in circumstances where building work without a building permit has been identified by council
- take appropriate action where there is a known risk to health or risk of injury or death
- receive copies of building permits, occupancy permits, notices and orders from private building surveyors and maintain a register of these matters
- provide information as prescribed by the building regulations
- apply for and execute search warrants